Why Sony failed at the Knowledge Stage
Based on the research consumers at this stage did not adopt to the Minidisc due to lack of knowledge because of poor marketing and strategy for example “ a November 1997 issue of Rolling Stone accused in the coarse, but honest language, the company of both bad time and bad marketing saying, the technology rocks , but the roll-out sucked”, (McDaniel pp. 2000) Sony failed at the knowledge stage for the following reasons:
- The Minidisc is a magneto-optical disc based on data storage device offering a capacity of 74 minutes and later 80 minutes. Attract liner PCM (with HI-MD) 780 mm laser, magnetic field modulation.
- According to Rogers “ Innovation is an idea practice or object that is perceived as new by an individual or other unit of adoption (Roger p 12 2003)
- From a communication viewpoint was to focus on consumers such as adult and teenage music and computer users. This is a phase where where ideas and other industry think about how they could adopt to your product for example “think like your customer for a day, Image why your customer comes to you to fill needs. As you think about your customer needs, write down new ways you can fill those needs” ( Johnson pp. 2016)
- The time frame for the Minidisc extended from September 1992 to March 2013. Understanding the time frame because consumers such as “Hollywood” was looking for new innovation to produce and music sell to the customers.
- Social Channels that with new innovation offers to reach “ new audience” in this case new adult and teenage listeners to the music industry that offer smaller and portable product such as the minidisc.
- Sony decision at the knowledge stage to enter the music market, In 1975 Sony concluded that to best way to promote adoption of its technologies (Hollywood consumers) was to set into content business since content owners have a big influence over which technology standards live or die (Economist pp. 2005).
- From a customer viewpoint Sony did not understand how to adopt to new innovation and the change concerning technology.
- The CD technology remain the highest standard of home high fidelity music playback because it provides the ultimate sound quality for customers.
Based on the influence from the knowledge stage Sony entered entered the music market because of large consumers such as Hollywood that were looking for companies to produce VHS and digital image, from a customer viewpoint Sony failed to understand what the consumer product ,the rapid change in innovation, competition from other vendors that understood what are the customer needs.